Saturday, March 15, 2014

Xenocide

Xenocide

Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) 

This recommendation is for the third book of Orson Scott Card's Ender series. It is called "Xenocide". I think the x at the beginning is pronounced as a 'j' sound. This is a great sequel to "Speaker of the Dead". It contains a lot more theological and thought-provoking material than the two previous books. The things he brings up are things I can easily compare to what I as an LDS remember believe. It's not the same, but it makes sense where Orson Scott Card might have gotten the ideas. 

He combines the theological and thought-provoking material with a great storyline following along Ender's story, introducing more depth into characters introduced in "Speaker of the Dead", and adds a few more. It is a book I recommend a lot. It is the longest of the four main books of the series, but it is worth it to read all the way to the end. A warning is that it contains a little crude language, but again it's not enough to take away from the story. It never ruined the reading experience for me.

I also have my recommendations for the first two books of this series on my blog too. You can find them under the tab above labeled "Recommended Books". I am currently reading the last one in the series as you can see on the right hand side of my blog (scroll down a little bit).

Below is the summary of the book as found on Goodreads.com (I italicized it):

The war for survival of the planet Lusitania will be fought in the hearts of a child named Gloriously Bright.

On Lusitania, Ender found a world where humans and pequininos and the Hive Queen could all live together; where three very different intelligent species could find common ground at last. Or so he thought.

Lusitania also harbors the descolada, a virus that kills all humans it infects, but which the pequininos require in order to become adults. The Starways Congress so fears the effects of the descolada, should it escape from Lusitania, that they have ordered the destruction of the entire planet, and all who live there. The Fleet is on its way, and a second xenocide seems inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my posts. Leave any thoughts, suggestions, or questions that you may have.