Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Daily Insights from my Life #16

"Our afflictions brothers and sisters often will not be extinguished, they will be dwarfed and swallowed up in the joy of Christ. That’s how we overcome, most of the time. It’s not their elimination, but the placing of them in that larger context. " - Elder Neal A. Maxwell

A relative of my wife's posted this quote on Facebook, and felt like I need to share my thoughts on it.

When I face trials and challenges, I remember what the Lord did in Gethsemane almost two thousand years ago. He performed an atonement for not only our sins but also our trial, challenges, tribulations, and afflictions. I know that as I turn to Christ and the Atonement, an overwhelming comfort (or joy as Elder Maxwell says in the quote) rolls over me. I think of the counsel from Christ in the New Testament.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." -Matthew  11:28-30 (Click on the scripture link if you want to go the verses)

If we go to him and take his easy yoke upon us, our burdens will become light. They might not disappear, but they will most certainly be "dwarfed".

I know that as I follow that counsel, I find "rest unto" my soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my posts. Leave any thoughts, suggestions, or questions that you may have.