Saturday, November 10, 2012

Choice 3: 2 Timothy 1–4. Paul’s Final Counsel to Timothy

Examples of Faithful Discipleship

Counsel Paul Gave to Timothy to Help Him Have Strong Faith
- Having the spirit of power, of love and of a sound mind
- Know in who you believe
-Be a partaker of the fruit
-Endure all things
-Purge yourselves of worldly treasures
- Be gentle unto all men
- Be apt to teach
- Be patient
- Instruct in meekness
- Do not have the spirit of contention
- Have faith, longsuffering, charity, and patience
-Fight the good fight
-Finish your course
-Keep the faith
-Love the Lord’s appearing
- Don’t be ashamed of the testimony of the Lord
- Be a partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God
- Hold fast to sound words in faith and love which is in Jesus Christ
- Be strong in the grace
- Endure hardness
- Study the scriptures
- Shun profane and vain babblings
- Follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace
- Avoid foolish and unlearned questions
- Continue in the things which he had learned
- Know who has taught you those things
-The scriptures are able to make you wise
-Preach the word
-Watch in all things
-Endure afflictions
-Do the work of an evangelist
-Make full proof of the ministry

-from 2 Timothy 1:7-13; 2:1-26; 3:10-17; 4:1-8

From the second column above (about the counsel Paul gave to Timothy to help Timothy have strong faith), the counsel that is of most value to me at this time is that of enduring hardness. This semester has been a tough semester due to all the homework and difficult classes I’m taking. I have been striving to endure it and get through the semester, but sometimes I just want to stay home and give up. I push forward, though, and keep going…knowing that there is an end to the semester. I am striving to endure the hardness better each day.

In 2 Timothy 1:15; 2:17-19; 4:3-4, 10 ,14, Paul gave some evidence that the general apostasy had already begun in his day. In 1:15, Paul taught that there were already some people who were rejecting the teachings and counsels of Church leaders (specifically Paul). In 2:17-19, Paul gives evidence of the general apostasy by warning that there are those who say that the resurrection has already passed. Those people overthrow the faith of others through this incorrect teaching. In 4:3-4, Paul warns that there will be a time when the saints will not want to listen to true doctrine and turn to those who teach false doctrine. They turn away from the truth. Finally, in 4:10, 14, Paul talks about a couple who have forsaken the  Lord.

“Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die;” (2 Nephi 28:7) That is one of many verses that describe the perilous times and signs of apostasy that are evident in our day. Some of those verses can be found in 2 Timothy 3:1-7, 2 Nephi 28:3-9, and Doctrine and Covenants 1:15-16. “This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.” (2 Timothy 3:1) In these verses, perilous times includes all of the following and more…men of corrupt minds, blasphemers, ingratitude, pride, lying, despisers of good, hearts that are puffed up, no belief in miracles from God, lack of faith, breakers of promises and ordinances, and worshipers of the idols of the world.

How can we, and more specifically me, protect ourselves against these evils and many others that were not listed? I know that some things that I can do are to stand in holy places, pray continually without ceasing, hold to the scriptures in my life, build my family up, have the essential spiritual and physical things with my family (family home evening, recreational activities, etc.), and always remembering the Lord in all things throughout my life. I know that if I do these things, I will not have to worry for myself and my family. We will be safe.

One way that I have experienced the truthfulness of 2 Timothy 3:16-17 is by striving to listen to the Spirit as I read and study the scriptures. I know that as I do that, I do gain new knowledge and/or understanding of something either in the verses that I read or about something not related to the verses at all. If one strives to keep their hearts and minds open to the Spirit, the Spirit will undoubtedly teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my posts. Leave any thoughts, suggestions, or questions that you may have.