Saturday, June 16, 2012

Plunging into a Book

You know what’s great about books? You can get lost in them. Some of my favorite books are those where when you read them, you get start imagining in your mind all that is actually happening. I love creating a certain place in my mind using the descriptions that I’m reading. It doesn’t matter if there is a lot of description or very little description. With little description, you can use more of your own imagination to fill in the details. With a lot of description it’s easy to visualize what the place would look like and plunge into it.

For example, I remember when I read the great writing of J.R.R. Tolkien in “The Hobbit” a little under a year ago. I would read, for example, the section where the reader gets to met Gollum for the first time or goes through Mirkwood and be able to place me in those settings. I could feel the eerie and gloomy darkness of the cavern where Gollum lives. I could see the old trees of Mirkwood…a place where you couldn’t see any sunlight for days. I could see Bilbo and the dwarves floating inside barrels. I love books like that one.

I hope y’all have had the opportunity to plunge yourself into a book. I know it is one of the greatest experiences one can have in their life. If you want to, I ask you to post some comments on this blog post of books you’ve read that have helped you have a similar experience as I have had many times in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my posts. Leave any thoughts, suggestions, or questions that you may have.