Thursday, March 14, 2019

Orson Scott Card's Women of Genesis

I just finished listening to the last of three books Orson Scott Card named the "Women of Genesis". It's a trilogy of books that focus on Sarah, Rebekah, and Rachel & Leah. Part fiction, they follow the stories of those courageous, faithful women who dealt with hardships like not being able to have children, marrying in the Covenant of Abraham, and self-worth. He writes inspiring stories with fictional stories mixed with what is written in the Bible while staying true to the bible.

The three hardships I listed were what stood out to me. Some of them also had strong desires to read the Word of God that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob had been granted as a birthright. All four are things that I loved about those books.

The desire to be a a good mother is something I see in those women that are close to me. It's a real desire, and I can't imagine how tough it must have been not only for Sarah in the Bible but all other women out there today who have that same struggle. My heart and prayers go out to them.

Self-worth is something that all of us can relate to. We can be insecure of how we look, about our physical weaknesses, our spiritual weaknesses, and our emotional weaknesses. Orson Scott Card does a great job making the women of Genesis relatable to us in those ways. I love that the way they overcome those trials is by turning to God.

Last, but not least, is the desire to read the Word of God and marrying those who share their same religious values and beliefs. They want to feel God's love and have His strength with Him. I'm grateful for the decision I made to marry someone who shares my beliefs and values so that we can grow even stronger together. That was the desire of the women of Genesis as well, and they were blessed for doing so.

If you haven't read them, I recommend them. They are not perfect and make some decisions that are not the best, but they try their best to be be righteous women of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my posts. Leave any thoughts, suggestions, or questions that you may have.