Thursday, April 10, 2014

Daily Insights from my Life #22

So for some of my daily insights, I am going to post what I learn as I read the talks from the recent LDS General Conference (my religion, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints). This will help me study the talks better from conference. These first four insights will be from the four talks given in the General Women's Meeting.

Keeping Covenants Protects Us, Prepares Us, and Empowers Us
by Rosemary M. Wixom (Primary General President)

"Look around you. The future is bright as you see women who have made covenants and are ready to show you the way along the path ahead."
-As she said that, she was speaking to the little girls 8 to 11 years old.

I found as I read and studied her talk that she focuses her talk on keeping covenants. One special thing she said that I liked was "As we strive to keep our covenants, our feelings of inadequacy and imperfection begin to fade, while the ordinances and the covenants of the temple come alive. Everyone is welcome to walk that path to eternal life." She talks about how if we keep the covenants we made...either in baptism, renewing them during the Sacrament, or in the temple...we have our feet firmly planted on the path to eternal life.

She ends her talk with a scripture found in The Book of Mormon. In 2 Nephi 31:19-20, Nephi teaches, "After ye have gotten in to this strait and narrow path, I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay. ... Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."

What I took away from this talk:
As I read this talk, I thought about the covenants I have made with Heavenly Father through baptism and in the temple. I realized that through keeping those covenants, I will be able to remain on the path to eternal life. That is a major goal for me and my family. A deepest desire of mine is to help my family and myself to get back to our Heavenly Father and gain the greatest gift, eternal life. I know that as I strive to focus on those covenants and worthily partake of the Sacrament every week, I will become spiritually stronger, my weaknesses will slowly become strengths, and I will reach my Heavenly Father again with my family.

I will conclude with her final words, "Each one of us is on that path. Tonight we sang about working the path in the light. As individuals, we are strong. Together with God, we are unstoppable. The Lord said to Emma Smith, "Lift up thy heart and rejoice, and cleave unto the covenants which thou hast made." We do rejoice that through keeping our covenants, we may feel the love of our heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment about my posts. Leave any thoughts, suggestions, or questions that you may have.